Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Birthday Celebration



As I contemplated how I would like to celebrate my recent birthday, I thought long and hard what would bring me the greatest joy. Would it be a supercharged shopping trip or a day filled with pampering services? Or how about a night out on the town? 

Suddenly I had the perfect plan. My husband dedicated his day to do whatever I wanted to do. He and I spent the afternoon and evening visiting seven of our friends and neighbors who had been facing health issues or other challenges. When he was trying to select the perfect bouquet of flowers for me, I suggested that we buy a bouquet and hand deliver them to someone else who needed a lift. Giving the flowers was much more rewarding than keeping them. Stopping unannounced to the seven people we had chosen infused excitement into our day. Seeing their smiles as they opened the door left the element of surprise in the day which is often the fun part of a birthday; we just reversed the role of the person being surprised!

The incredible experience of serving always blesses us more than when our focus is turned inward. We were truly the benefactor of those visits, sharing a little slice of our time with those who needed a little cheer. Celebrating life with them created a delightful birthday agenda for me!

I was blessed with calls, gifts and visits from family and friends for which I am deeply grateful. But adding the hours of time we shared with those who were struggling in some way, created a memorable birthday celebration.

No comments: