Thursday, October 25, 2012

Self Esteem

Photo from Photos by MJ
As a family we have taken time to play a few kickball games together in recent months. Bonding is easy when cousins, aunts and uncles along with us, the grandma and grandpa, join in a shared activity. Cheering each other on, we enjoyed the game and our time together. Although no one was rigid in our game structure, allowing a few lenient calls. As I stood outfield, I thought it should be illegal for the younger kids to ever be called “OUT”. Of course, I realize that each of us needs to learn to play by the rules and be good sports. But in the overall scheme of life, I do not ever want any of my grandchildren to feel that they are “OUT” in the game of life.


My overall belief and underlying purpose as a parent has always been to help my children build strong self esteem. Early on as a mother, I determined that if my children had good self esteem, they could handle any thing else life may hand them. School would be manageable and relationships would be strong if they first had healthy self esteem. And that is my deepest desire for my grandchildren and future posterity.
 

No comments: